WNY High School Sports Highlights 2007:
SidelinesAfter Week 6
After Week 5
Roy- Hart stopped its winless streak at 21 with a 28-21 win over Niagara Catholic.
Nichols stopped its winless streak at 13 with a 20-14 win over DeSales.
Tom Secky Maple Grove Sr. QB moves into 7th place in career passing yardage with 4065 after throwing for 276 yds. against Frewsburg.
Walsh with an enrollment of 82 forfeited its game with Elmira South a school with an enrollment of 1000. Whoever schedules this game is the turkey of the week.
Win - Cardinal O'Hara - 23
Win - McKinley - 16
McKinley Macks have won 25 League Games in a row.
- Randolph has scored 188 pts. in the Cardinals last 4 games averaging 43 pts.
After Week 4
There are 7 undefeated teams
Cardinal O'Hara has posted the most shutouts with 4.
Top 5 players of the year candidates
Arvin Bell - McKinley Sr. DL / RB
Reggie Garner- Cardinal O'Hara Sr. RB
Tom Secky- Maple Grove Sr. RB
Jeff Tundo- Orchard Park Jr. RB
Justin Volk - Canisius Sr. RB / LB
Most Yards Rushing
Dustin Washington - Hinsdale 960 YDS
Jeff Tundo - Orchard Park 798 YDS
Aquinas made it a sweep of Msgr. Martin Teams defeating St. Joseph's 27-0. The Little Irish are ranked 4th in the state in Class A.
Alex Neutz Grand Island Jr. WR has caught 22 passes for 462 YDS and 4 TD's
Cardinal O'Hara has outscored it's opponents 187 to 7 in 5 games.
Adam Burdick - Newfane's star RB will see his first action in week 6.
Randolph has won it last 3 games by shutouts over Franklinville, Chautauqua Lake and Frewburg by a combined score 132-0.
Cardinal O'Hara has the second longest win streak in NYS. The Hawks have won 22 consecutive games while William Floyd (NYC) has won 24 games in a row.
- Surprise Teams
- Kenmore West
- East Aurora
- Lancasters win over Clarence in "AA" South now has 4 teams with Redskins, Red Devils, Frontier and Orchard Park vieing for 2 Playoff Berths.
- North Tonawandas dominate 55-21 win over Niagara Wheatfield has left Falcons more than likely losing a playoff berth. Jacks, Lockport and Ken-West are competing for 2 playoff berth in the "AA" North.
- Albion and Sweet Home appear to be locks in "A" North for playoff berths. Can't however count out Lew-Port and Grand Island Purple Eagles and Panthers meet October 6th at Sweet Home.
- Iroquois is 3-0 in League but still must play Cheektowaga away in wk 8. Warriors have to play Hamburg, Maryvale, Lake Share and Iroquois. Other teams in contention for playoff berths include Hamburg, Lake Shore and Maryvale.
- Lackawanna has been a disappointment but remains in contention for a playoff berth. Must defeat Depew in Wk 6. Other contenders still include Tonawanda in "B" North.
- Southwestern has regrouped after loss to East Aurora. Trojans, East Aurora and Fredonia vieing for 2 playoff berths. Blue Devils seem to be in Drivers seat. Southwestern plays at Fredonia in Wk 7.
- 8 teams make playoffs Allegany-Limestone and Roy-Hart could be sitting out Playoffs. Strongest teams are Falconer, JFK, Cleveland Hill. Wilson has been a big surprise with Bill Atlas doing a nice job.
- 4 Teams from Class "D" and Class "DD" will make playoffs. Have to like Maple Grove in final. Portville, Randolph, and Frewsburg should complete for either spot in the title game.
- Harvard Cup have 3 teams in contention in McKinley, Grover Cleveland and Bennett. Grover plays Macks in Wk 5 and Bennett in Wk 6. Macks play Tigers in Wk 9 still like McKinley and Grover Cleveland in the game.
- League "A" in Msgr. Martin Assn. is between Cardinal O'Hara and St. Mary's. Hawks host Lancers in wk 6. Teams will meet again for Championship at Ralph Wilson Stadium.
- St. Francis host Canisius in wk 6 and play at Timon/St. Jude in wk 9. These games my determine title. Will be interesting to see how Tigers match up against Cardinal O'Hara in wk 5.